Saturday, February 14, 2015

"To Fall in Love With Anyone, Do This"

"I know the eyes are the windows to the soul or whatever, but the real crux of the moment was not just that I was really seeing someone, but that I was seeing someone really seeing me. Once I embraced the terror of this realization and gave it time to subside, I arrived somewhere unexpected.

I felt brave, and in a state of wonder. Part of that wonder was at my own vulnerability and part was the weird kind of wonder you get from saying a word over and over until it loses its meaning and becomes what it actually is: an assemblage of sounds... I see now that the story isn’t about us; it’s about what it means to bother to know someone, which is really a story about what it means to be known."
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/fashion/modern-love-to-fall-in-love-with-anyone-do-this.html?referrer=

It's possible that I loved this partially because it's such a scientist thing to do - to know about the study and then casually replicate it - but there was something so sweet and aspirational about this essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment