Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"A Short Sad History of Congress Trading Away D.C.'s Sovereignty"

"The more than 600,000 residents in the District still have no voting representation in Congress, despite the fact that D.C. has a greater population than Wyoming or Vermont. And local residents' interests are frequently used as leverage in larger congressional negotiations. (For a sense of how racially charged this is, consider the fact that roughly half of the District's population is black, while Congress is 87 percent white.)
What follows is a look back at the many times Congress has trampled on D.C. rights."
http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/7-times-congress-bargained-away-d-c-s-rights-20141211

I recently had a conversation  about DC natives, in which someone said 'no one really lives in DC' and it's such a common (and totally problematic) feeling among the sort of transient-youth population I am part of in DC right now. I don't feel like I live here, really, I just am living here. So, weirdly, I feel totally unaffected by the DC rights thing even though I pay taxes and benefit from the city services and am subject to local laws and stuff. And the majority of people I interact with either don't live in the district (I.e. They live in Maryland or Virginia), or haven't been here more than maybe 3 years or aren't planning to live here for more than another few years, or all 3. 
From my perch, there isn't a huge amount of investment in DC or what it is. It's a hotel city for us. 
And it's sort of like the themes of every dystopian novel ever - I spend most of my time in the hotel bits, in streets that are sometimes terrifyingly clean, and don't see what needs to be cared about or fostered or supported and I don't see the communities eroded by the hotel-ization of more and more neighborhoods. And I probably won't, because I am going to be gone soon.
I feel like I sometimes claim to be getting really DC, but what I really mean by that is that is the policy world - be sure to call me out if I ever pretend to be any part of the real city.

No comments:

Post a Comment