Thursday, February 19, 2015

"Should Higher Education Have a Leftist Bias?"

"Show that you approach opponents’ actions and writings with an open mind, not with malice aforethought. Concede the other side’s valid arguments–preferably toward the beginning of your critique, not tacked on grudgingly at the end or in inconspicuous subordinate clauses. Acknowledge points on which you agree at least partially and might be able to cooperate."

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/should-higher-education-have-a-leftist-bias/


Mostly posting because I really like these "rules for polemicists" at the beginning, and I wish they were practices we were taught in school. I would love to have a helpful and structured environment in which to practice them. I would definitely be a more intellectually organized person if so :)

The book sounds interesting, but like it would only reinforce an idea that I agree with defaultly, so I wouldn't necessarily emerge from the experience having grown at all. Additionally, I would imagine that there is much that can be said about a liberal bias that makes it unfairly difficult for people with conservative social/political/economic perspectives to gain respect in certain academic communities.

I appreciate reading the summaries of his arguments though.

No comments:

Post a Comment