Monday, May 16, 2016

"ZAYN MALIK AND THE SONGS THAT BRING US TO PRAYER"

"In the years before all of the rhetoric and the violence it created started to hit their current peak in America, I was a boy — a Muslim teenager, born to parents who had never been outside of the country. I had a proximity to American popular culture that some of the other Muslim teenagers I knew didn’t have. My parents, reluctantly, allowed me and my siblings to listen to rap. We could have name-brand sneakers. I could walk into the mosque for Friday prayer and show off basketball cards or talk about television shows. Or I could do the thing that pulled the most excitement out of my peers: I could bring my hand-me-down Sony Discman, put in the latest rap or pop CD, press play, and pass my headphones around, giving everyone a taste of another world...


The work Zayn does, as I see it, is more in service to the young Muslims reveling in the pleasures of their non-Muslim peers, and the guilt that can come with that. Zayn is an unmistakable sex symbol, covered in tattoos, who sings about love and intimacy. There is a video of him smoking weed, one that I watched and that made me laugh, knowing what it is to be young and reckless, despite the faith you were born into. I root for Zayn to be himself, because I know that he is still a Muslim, standing in the face of all of these things the world does not associate with Muslims. This, too, is powerful. It isn’t an erasing or muting of his identity. It’s a stretching of what that identity can represent in the minds of people like him."


No comments:

Post a Comment