Monday, May 9, 2016

“Grief is powerful. Here are 6 lessons survivors learn from tragedy.”

My parents survived the Holocaust, so I was raised by people who had been wrenched through and through by horror and loss…
I am a therapist, and when I see the fortitude of my patients in dealing with catastrophic events beyond their control I am reminded anew of what human beings can discover about themselves once they accept that they can't undo a tragedy — but they can relate to it in a new, healthier way. Here are six positive things that can emerge from grief.”

The thing I like a lot - I frequently tell patients, "When you stuff all the junk you don't want to look at into a closet, eventually the door will spring open and piles of crap will fall on your head."
I realized recently how many people I know who subscribe to the ignore-it method, and how distrustful our society is of emotionality. I’ve been thinking about how my hometown <tag with Bruni article> was deeply invested in training its children to become elite academics and professionals but never taught us how to see ourselves as human beings.
And reading this, I realize how many people experience grief and how it is a real part of peoples’ lives but we don’t really hear about it, we don’t really share it with each other. It’s rude? And when it happens, no one knows what to do; which is so weird, because grief has always been a part of human life. And the worst thing for a grieving person is to be isolated in their grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment