Sunday, January 17, 2016

"Who Stole Meninism?"

"I used to be okay with the term “meninism”, though I never applied that label to myself; resisting social injustice with specific reference to my lived experience as a cis, queer, non-Western man of colour was part of what I did. I believe that masculinity in its current state must be made less toxic, and more accepting of all genders and sexualities. I believe that masculinitymust be made less toxic to non-men. I believed, past tense, in meninism. So what happened?
I haven’t seen much pushback from men against the co-opting of our cause by misogynists and anti-feminists. Anything “for men” now comes with an implicit side of “against women and non-men”. Fuck that noise."
https://medium.com/@BIVOUAC/who-stole-meninism-cd5bbcab8155


Also, I love the quote in here about men making their spaces feminist, instead of demanding space within feminism. Maybe that helps to lead to an understanding of allyship.

No comments:

Post a Comment