Tuesday, July 26, 2016

"The Anti-P.C. Vote"

"Jonathan Haidt, a professor at N.Y.U., suggested to me that one way to better understand the intensity of Trump’s appeal is by looking at something called “psychological reactance.” Haidt describes reactance as

"the feeling you get when people try to stop you from doing something you’ve been doing, and you perceive that they have no right or justification for stopping you. So you redouble your efforts and do it even more, just to show that you don’t accept their domination. Men in particular are concerned to show that they do not accept domination."...

Translated to the Trump phenomenon, I would say that decades of political correctness, with its focus on “straight white men” as the villains and oppressors — now extended to “straight white cis-gendered men” — has caused some degree of reactance in many and perhaps most white men."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/opinion/campaign-stops/trump-clinton-edsall-psychology-anti-pc-vote.html?_r=0

V. useful concept; it's also that thing where someone mentions that they are vegetarian and suddenly half the group feels the need to discuss their love of meat. 

I really want to dive into the ways that straight white men are feeling instructed/restricted in their behavior; what active, direct, interpersonal policing do they experience and what passive, indirect, societal/systemic messages? What do they feel are the repercussions? What do they agree with, what don't they agree with, and what are the reactions they wish they were having? 


I actually did ask a white guy about this once, and he responded with a quote from a book:

"There is a passage in Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides that gestures at this:

"This has not been an easy century to endure. I entered the scene in the middle of a world war at the fearful dawning of the atomic age. I grew up in South Carolina, a white southern male, well trained and gifted in my hatred of blacks when the civil rights movement caught me outside and undefended along the barricades and proved me to be both wicked and wrong. But I was a thinking boy, a feeling one, sensitive to injustice, and I worked hard to change myself and to play a small, insignificant part in that movement -- and soon I was feeling superabundantly proud of myself. Then I found myself marching in an all-white, all-male ROTC program in college and was spit on by peace demonstrators who were offended by my uniform. Eventually I would become one of those demonstrators, but I never spit on anyone who disagreed with me. I thought I would enter my thirties quietly, a contemplative man, a man whose philosophy was humane and unassailable, when the women's liberation movement bushwhacked me on the avenues and I found myself on the other side of the barricades once again. I seem to embody everything that is wrong with the twentieth century.""

That quote really helps me understand behavior that might otherwise seem chaotic and nihilistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment