Thursday, July 7, 2016

"A man shouts racial slurs in a Seattle Starbucks. The silence is deafening"

"My awareness of the incident, as I later explained it to the police officer who took my statement, started with me realizing that my right hand was wet.  

We were in a Starbucks and there was lots of liquid around. My cortical brain told me that most likely someone spilled something. But then, I heard someone behind me say something that sounded like, “fucking nigger bitch.”...
He went outside and stood at the window yelling more comments that we could not hear and finally walked away down the street.  
As he stood at the window, my brain started to make sense of things. I realized the liquid I felt on my hand was his spit. He had spit at my colleague, as it turned out, twice...
on reflection a few hours after the incident, more than that young man’s actions were disturbing to me. This was a very public act in a very small space. Everyone at that cafĂ© heard the incident and many saw it. However, only one patron came up after the incident. 

In a post-racial world, there’s no silence. Even if you can’t directly act, you take a stand to support those who are assaulted, like the woman who volunteered to be a witness, or the manager who took action."


WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS. Bystanders. 

In my life, I havehave repeatedly been disappointed by the way that non-black /friends/ have failed to react, have defaulted to a state of I guess denial and politeness?

I am doing a thing where I try to actively let friends know (friends with oppressed identities) that I will be there to use my privilege for them in these kinds of situations. 

Because really, the things that cause me the longer traumas are the memories of how the people around me abandoned me in that moment of need. 


Related: the great one about the dinner party, white liberal friends are racist, what was the other one where I wrote about this... In May 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment