Friday, August 28, 2015

"zoë kravitz is our august cover star"

"Kravitz knows how to treat herself—but it hasn’t always been this way. Growing up as a self-described “chubby, awkward brown girl around a bunch of blonde girls” led to struggles with bulimia and anorexia in her teens...
it wasn’t only her parents’ celebrity that hampered Kravitz’s ability to feel like she belonged while growing up. As one of few black kids in her predominately white school, she remembers saying things like, “I’m just as white as y’all,” to her classmates. “I identified with white culture, and I wanted to fit in,” she says. “I didn’t identify with black culture, like, I didn’t like Tyler Perry movies, and I wasn’t into hip-hop music. I liked Neil Young.” But as time went on, her views shifted. “Black culture is so much deeper than that,” she says, “but unfortunately that is what’s fed through the media. That’s what people see. That’s what I saw. But then I got older and listened to A Tribe Called Quest and watched films with Sidney Poitier, and heard Billie Holiday and Nina Simone. I had to un-brainwash myself. It’s my mission, especially as an actress.
A big tenet of this undertaking involves choosing roles that don’t focus on her race. “I don’t want to play everyone’s best friend,” she explains. “I don’t want to play the role of a girl struggling in the ghetto. It’s not that that story isn’t important, but I saw patterns and was like, ‘I don’t relate to these people.’”"
http://www.nylon.com/articles/zoe-kravitz-august-2015
Too much real.
Related: unlearning colorblindness one
FB: So, apparently Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet have a daughter (didn't know this) and she's been in a bunch of movies (like Mad Max), but most interestingly she has very real things to say about struggling to have a black race identity while growing up around mostly white people.

No comments:

Post a Comment