Thursday, November 26, 2015

"Writing down things you're grateful for makes your life better. Really."

"There's a growing body of serious research that gratitude can really, concretely make your life better. The best part is, you don't even have do to any mental contortions to make sure you feel it — you can just go through the motions of acting as if you do.

The findings are dramatic. The practice of gratitude (which can truly be as simple as jotting down notes about what you're thankful for) has been called "velcro" for wellbeing and deemed "the new willpower." It might even make people like you. Hell, it might make you like you more."

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/27/7295851/gratitude-health-benefits

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've started posting something on this every year, because I really believe in it and I think more people should do it! (I also have a friend in social psychology who has approved the research behind it).

It sometimes feels disingenuous, yes, but it is so grounding and when I do it right before bed it is a great way to re-orient my thoughts as I try to fall asleep (#insomniac). And honestly, the practice is most important when it feels like the world is exhausting and when there are an overwhelming amount of negative things

I wrote about my daily practice here last year - I text friends every day and it's one of the best things that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment