Friday, December 15, 2017

"What I Learned From #MeToo: Stop the Instant, Harsh Critiquing"



"Having been a community organizer within the Movement for Black Lives since its founding, I have witnessed the visceral desire to criticize almost every action, campaign, intention, organization and individual who dares to pursue Black liberation in some way. I’ve done it myself. But with each growing day, as liberation appears both nearer and farther, I want patience in how we deal with one another in our attempts to get free. I want honesty in knowing that fuck-ups are an inherent element in this work and that we should accept them instead of aiming for a perfection that is fictional."


It's like how the Ice Bucket challenge made me so angry, and I'm still not sure why. 


FB: "For example, with #MeToo, Black people of many (non)genders shared their stories and they edited the exclusionary messaging first associated with the campaign to reflect the totality of survivors. They did so without having to read a thinkpiece or viral Facebook post calling attention to how narrow the messaging was."

No comments:

Post a Comment