Wednesday, December 27, 2017

"Joyner Lucas’ “Im Not Racist” Addresses Racial Tension Within Trump’s America"

The first half of the video with more than 2.5 million views is dedicated to the white man who yells at the black male about how black people are lazy, black males are bad fathers and that there is a double standard when it comes to the N-word. 
It is pretty clear that the Trump supporter's anger is rooted in years of Fox News consumption and very little knowledge about black people. In the video, he insists after a blistering rant that he knows black people – about two black people – and that means that he isn't a racist.”

http://creators.blavity.com/joyner-lucas-im-not-racist-music-video


Wowowowow, watch the video really really.


On the face of it, it’s a dialogue between two people, but I think it’s also such a great representation of internalized racism. It can’t be just me who has a man like that in their head, saying those words whenever you make a mistake or feel inadequate or are feeling word down by systemic racism.  I am constantly imagining myself in scenes like the one in this video, except it’s in moments when I’m tired and I can’t imagine that my words would be convincing and the guy just gets to keep feeling like he’s right. So it’s cathartic and beautiful to see a different ending, to imagine a reality where I deliver a monologue and he guy listens and learns.

No comments:

Post a Comment