Saturday, December 9, 2017

"My feminism will be capitalist, appropriative and bullshit merchandise"



"It was bizarre to see my name in pink fonts, being sold as a commodity when the entirety of my work has been against the commodification of feminist ideas and the misuse, appropriation and subsequent lack of credit of feminism of color. There is irony in the fact that I have written thousands of words about capitalism and its role appropriating emancipatory movements while simultaneously realizing that someone is trying to sell a coffee mug with my name on it. Now, I do not believe anyone made a significant amount of money out of these items or that these items were ever popular purchases. That said, multiple people on this here internet thought that the words I put out there, fighting precisely these notions, were fair game to try and make money while sparing not a single afterthought to the realities of the woman who wrote those words. While I am too embarrassed to smile in public, someone thought it was OK to make a quick cent glueing my words to a stereotypical representation of the kind of pretty blond girl I never was."


No comments:

Post a Comment