Sunday, July 9, 2017

"Why We Must Stop Calling Menstruation A ‘Women’s Issue’"


"Teddy: It certainly plays a part in my dysphoria, not so much the fact that I have periods, but the feeling that I’m not the gender I am because it’s not seen as a “thing” guys have. That and the fact that my breasts tend to get quite sore during my period. They’re a massive source of dysphoria for me as it is. The pain usually makes it impossible to wear my binder, and so I’m left with a body that doesn’t feel like mine, and it can be really hard to get through the day... 

Ame: I do feel as though I, nonbinary trans people and trans men as a whole, face exclusion from such topics. People often refer to “women’s” bodies when discussing menstruation and reproductive rights, yet these are issues that I deal with and I am not a woman. It makes me feel invalid, and those discussions alone provoke my dysphoria. Hearing these topics spoken about in terms of “women’s issues” associates me with being a woman when I am not."


No comments:

Post a Comment