Thursday, July 6, 2017

"Anxiety, Meds, and Words from the Horizon. (So to Speak.)"

"Let me be clear: I’m okay with reactions, negative or otherwise. I am a grown woman, and a professional author, and when people disagree with me, even angrily, that’s okay with me. Readers are allowed, encouraged, to feel. To form their own opinions. To reject and despise a story. To think some books are crap and other books aren’t. To say so, in whatever GIF-y, sarcastic, exclamation point filled way they choose. On a logical level, I believe this, would fight for it if I had to. But Anxious Brain doesn’t get memos like that, doesn’t speak the language of logic. Anxious Brain just feels, feels, feels... 

The story of how a year of therapy turned into finally trying medication isn’t really important right now. Someday I’ll tell it. I was never the kind of person who was even open to the suggestionof antidepressants– I thought that was a sign of weakness, something other people needed, not me. I was strong. I would fight it on my own.
(Right?)
I’ll never forget what my therapist said to me the day I finally raised the subject of brain chemicals to her. It was pretty simple, just, “you don’t have to fight so hard.” Meaning: you don’t have to go it alone, do it without help. You don’t have to try to be so strong.
I burst into tears...

Antidepressant 4, my little miracle... Capable of self soothing. Capable of fighting back without draining my energy. Like a muscle that you suddenly realize is strong after you’ve been working out for a few weeks– like that first time you carry a bag of heavy groceries up a flight of stairs and realize you’re not as out of breath as you used to be. I wasn’t a robot, but I had energy. I could have a cup of tea and not feel so jittery and shaky from the caffeine that I wanted to turn back time and un-drink it. I could be kind to someone in a bookstore who recognized me and asked me for a picture– without having a panic attack!"


We need so many of these narratives. I know so many people who hold out against psychiatric medication for their medical disorders, because of all these internalized stigmas and irrationalities. And it really is such a lovely thing to final have a little something to lean on, because it's never possible to will yourself healthy; taking medication lets you remember what it's possible to feel like, and to remember what you have been fighting for. 


FB: The author of the Divergent series on her journey to taking anti-anxiety medication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment