Sunday, October 2, 2016

"I'm pro-life. And I'm voting for Hillary. Here's why."


"So what’s changed?
Nothing.
Well, nothing in my stance toward abortion. I’m still opposed to it. But since Roe v. Wade, most Republicans have talked a lot about abortion while doing little to make meaningful change in that area of policy. Furthermore, they’ve opposed or even stalled measures that could prevent abortions by targeting the underlying causes, like poverty, education, lack of access to healthcare, and supports for single parent and low-income families. In fact, I suspect these reasons contribute to why abortion rates rose under Reagan, rose under the first Bush, dropped under Clinton, held steady under the second Bush, and have been dropping under Obama. As such, I’m not sure we can hold that voting Republican is the best thing for abortion rates in this country...
I spoke at the Evangelicals for Life conference in DC back in January, and plenty of the speakers addressed issues beyond abortion. I was one of them, talking about the lives of people with disabilities. Starting with that group, here are 10 ways in which I find the Democratic nominee more pro-life than the Republicans…
You might not think I’ve made a solid case for Hillary as a viable pro-life candidate, and that’s fair. But I hope you won’t be quick to dismiss the realities I’ve shared about why I can’t consider Trump to be pro-life either. In other words, I understand how you can look at Hillary’s track record on abortion and not be able to say, “I’m with her.” Really, I get that. I just don’t understand how you can look at Trump’s track record on not just abortion but on life across the board and say you’re with him. To me, being pro-life can’t just be about ensuring that babies are born without also affirming their value after birth through our words, actions, and policies."

http://www.shannondingle.com/blog//im-pro-life-and-im-voting-for-hillary-heres-why


So, this is absolute clickbait for pro-choice liberals like me, I honestly wouldn't have clicked on it if someone I respect a lot hadn't posted it, because it's too on-the-nose of my politics to be an educational read for me.

BUT it also says broader things about the pitfalls of "single-issue voting", and how any issue is rolled up with a bunch of other issues and you have to look at an ecosystem even if you are trying to focus on just one thing. 

FB: A woman uses intersectional analysis to explain why, as a pro-life voter, she is in support of a candidate who supports abortion rights


"Honestly, I wish one of our major parties – or a third party, whether viable for winning the election or not – holistically supported life at all stages. My choice would be easier if that were true. It’s not, though. And I can’t accept that being pro-life is simply being anti-abortion. That’s not pro-life. It’s not."

No comments:

Post a Comment