Wednesday, June 20, 2018

"Your Company Expense Policies Are Hurting Women. Here's Why and How to Fix it"

"At most companies (and everywhere else I’ve worked), non-household expenses such as hotel stays, meals, transportation, and even laundry are reimbursable; expenses for maintaining your home while you are traveling or working (e.g. babysitting, cat sitting) are not. I have never been able to understand the difference between these groupings. If I incur an expense because I am doing something above and beyond for my company, shouldn’t my company pay for that expense? Does it matter if that expense happens inside my apartment or not?

Household expenses are not covered because expense policies (and IRS codes) are still biased toward men. Most of these policies were created when men were traveling, and women were home taking care of the kids...

The advertising industry loves to talk about the (lack of) balance of women in leadership, but there’s a lot of “admiring the problem,” and not enough action/financial investment that actually enables women to participate equally."



Decreasing inequality is an active, not passive, activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment