Tuesday, June 6, 2017

"Yes, I'm a Solid 5.5-6, And I'm Traveling Alone"

"While traveling solo to cultivate a love of diverse cultures is a fantastic, if ill-conceived, notion, it's not why I travel. I travel for money. I travel because Chinese people pay me gobs of cash to sit in meetings and be white, and I do it alone because I have no real roots to speak of anywhere else. I don't expect everyone to understand that I majored in English Literature and have a complicated relationship with my parents, and so had to move to Asia to achieve financial security, but don't automatically assume that I've moved to this ridiculous place because I am misguidedly failing to acknowledge my own lack of a personal identity.

I know a lot of people think that your 20s are the time to explore and be free, but honestly, McDonald's tastes the same on every continent. I know because I've tried."
http://drohandeconstructs.blogspot.com/2015/08/yes-im-solid-55-6-and-im-traveling-alone.html?m=1

This is amusing and random and acerbicly cuts through easy (and orientalist) narratives about a white man in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment