Monday, June 5, 2017

"I was a 911 operator. You wouldn’t believe the horrible things I heard."

"When I put my finger on how the job had taken its toll, I knew I needed to step back and do some self-care. Not everyone in the profession is as fortunate. Though there is a mandatory psychological evaluation before you start the job, counseling afterward is always optional.  Though operators were encouraged to go through debriefing after a particularly difficult call, most operators didn’t. You don’t want your peers or especially your boss to question whether you can handle your job. Few people actually talk about the real struggle to balance empathy and protecting your heart against the pain of repeated traumatic exposure — operators where I worked fielded as many as 80 calls a day. The truth is that when it comes to facing vicarious trauma, we tell emergency operators across the country to “Deal with it yourself” every day."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/07/30/i-was-a-911-operator-you-wouldnt-believe-the-horrible-things-i-heard/?tid=pm_opinions_pop_b

No comments:

Post a Comment