Friday, February 10, 2017

"What Rihanna's "BBHMM" Co-Star Can Teach You About Self-Love"

"Most people, whether they discovered me after the [BBHMM] video or have followed me for years, probably think that my unabashed need to remind myself and the rest of the world how great I am on a daily basis must come naturally. It doesn’t. It’s been a 24-year struggle of confronting my physical and emotional insecurities. Like most girls my age, especially girls of color, I grew up hating everything about myself before I even started junior high. Everything about me was wrong, from the way I dressed to my eyebrows and even my name. Everything about me is still wrong to a lot of people. I don’t know at what point in my adolescence I realized that simply not giving a fuck and loving myself anyway could change everything for me. It’s such a basic solution to most self-esteem issues that a lot of people don’t even believe me when I suggest it...
I sat on the bathroom sink and stared at myself in the mirror until I could actually look at myself for more than two minutes at a time. This bit of advice might sound dumb, but if you try it you’ll come to find that most people can’t even do it...
It takes so much to unlearn and dismantle the shit that is ingrained in us as little girls. To be modest, to graciously accept whatever mediocre men come along, to wear more makeup or not wear so much makeup, not to be too loud or take too many selfies. In 2015, when we have made so much progress with women’s rights and have online communities for strong women to share their stories, I’m still expected to be humble and shave my armpits to appease boring, terribly dressed men on Instagram who don’t have shit to offer but an opinion no one asked them for. Fuck being humble. Put yourself first. You matter the most."
http://www.refinery29.com/2015/07/91151/sanam-brown-beauty-tips-contributor?utm_campaign=naytev&utm_content=55b9154fe4b0932f995d35ca&fb_ref=Default

I love her, this is amazing, can she be a motivational speaker for middle-school aged girls of color please?

No comments:

Post a Comment