Saturday, February 25, 2017

"I'm an Arab actor who's been asked to audition for the role of terrorist more than 30 times. If La La Land cleans up at the Oscars, I'm done"



"I’m now 26, and in my career, I’ve been sent nearing 30 scripts for which I’ve been asked to play terrorists on screen. Roles have varied from ones as meaty as “Suspicious Bearded Man on Tube” to “Muslim man who hides his bombs in a deceptive burka”.

When characters aren’t as explicitly linked to jihadi fundamentalism, most Arab roles I’ve read serve as antagonists to white heroes. BBC’s recently acclaimed The Night Manager reminded me of those difficulties in my own career – watching it, it felt obvious that Arab characters were placed where they were as mere “others,” narrative hurdles to complicate the journeys of its cast of white leads...

It is my genuine belief that if the TV and film industry had been more diligent in representing Arab characters – with all our humane, complex, intersectional three-dimensionality – xenophobia would not be as pandemic as it is today.

And hence I pray that La La Land doesn’t clean up at the Oscars (as at the BAFTAs). For this would be a sign that the industry prioritises the celebration of itself first of all, self-indulgently rejoicing in its own nostalgic - and white – mythology."



"Beyonce made an album that shifted the culture. Not just black culture. The culture. Whether you liked “Lemonade” or not, you are still dealing with the marketing, the images, the movie, the poetry, the music, the costumes, the concerts, the think-pieces, the feelings, the rage, the hurt, the reconciliation, the implications, the questions. You are still dealing. And while “25” did give us, “Hello,” which was absolutely a BIG deal when it came out in 2015 (insert side eye here)"

FB: "It’s incredible how many times I’ve been told to see racial profiling as a positive thing. 


And it’s true that since 9/11, there are genuinely more roles for Arab actors than ever before. “Hurrah!” they say. “Rejoice in the bounteous work opportunities! Finally, Arabs have a place in Hollywood!” Not centre-screen, of course, but on the faceless periphery, clutching a prop detonator while a famous white man acts his ass off and earns an Oscar in the process."

No comments:

Post a Comment