Sunday, February 26, 2017

“I’m the most magnanimous motherfucker you know.”

"The thing is, for those of us who fly while brown, there is always someone in the security line with us who thinks we’re a threat. In my experience, it’s seldom the TSA agents themselves...

But our fellow passengers? They feel like they’re being heroic when they carefully scrutinize my iPhone charger in my bag. I’ve literally lost count of the number of times another guy (it’s always a man) in line asks me to account for the external battery pack I typically carry for my smartphone. These dudes want to be the hero who caught me in the TSA security line.

You have to think about what these people are saying when they scrutinize me, or every other brown person, in an airport security line. They’re clearly saying: I think you would kill me, and you, and all the people on this plane, including the children. Now, they never quite have the temerity to say it out loud. Instead, they just exchange that meaningful nod with the TSA agent, hoping to get me pulled out for a secondary screening...

I am particularly even-keeled by temperament, so I can endure as many as 12 consecutive accusations of intending to kill children before I get indignant... I confront the reality that if I did actually articulate how furious I am, I would be the one kicked off, and not my horrible lying accusers."

https://medium.com/@anildash/i-m-the-most-magnanimous-motherfucker-you-know-940190413df0


This makes me sad-sick. I can't imagine enduring this and feeling that vulnerable.

And the title, so spot on, if you need someone who can smile calmly through great indignity, find a brown person.

No comments:

Post a Comment