Wednesday, July 22, 2015

"Review: We Need to Talk About the Furiosa Comic"

"Here in the comic, women pass information to each other, but only because a man authorized the “history woman” to teach his wives. And this is so laughably infuriating to me already, this idea that women only whisper secrets and warnings and hopes and dreams and histories to each other because a man told them to. Even the idea that a man knows when information-exchange is taking place between women. This is the root, I think, of why so many works don’t pass Bechdel: because the male authors don’t imagine that women talk to each other, and even when they do stretch their imaginations to encompass female conversations, authors assume that they, as men, know what those conversations are about... to me (and I’m guessing other women in theaters), there was no “mystery” as to why the women knew things; they knew things because they were people...

and omg did someone ask the MRA boycotters to write this book without having seen the movie? Like, was that how this happened?...

by showing the rape and sexual assault over and over again in this book, that will likely overwhelm the wives’ valid complaints about freedom and reproductive freedom. It doesn’t–or shouldn’t–matter whether Joe is treating them “well” or whether he’s hurting them. They aren’t free, they deserve to be free, the end. The added rape sequences only serve to provide a validity prism for the audience: yes, the apocalypse out there is rotten, but it really was sufficiently terrible enough in Joe’s captivity to justify wanting to leave...

Apparently my freedom is something I should sell for water and shade, and I should only give that up if the abuse is bad enough."
http://www.themarysue.com/furiosa-comic-review/

I forgot how cathartic it can be to read someone else's intelligent, structured, long irritation. I don't want to say 'rant' because I am having a moment with that word (I realize that I only want to use it when I disapprove of something, and I'm trying to figure out what that means). But yay, seeing someone's speech that is usually highly censored.

No comments:

Post a Comment