Thursday, July 30, 2015

"Cara Delevingne Responds To Awkward Interview"

"The next questions concerned whether or not her workload was "easy," and if she and her character had anything in common. Delevingne seemed pained by the lame queries, prompting another anchor to jump in and ask why she didn't seem too excited. When she assured them that she was excited, adding that perhaps it was just the early morning start behind her lack of energy, the news team ganged up on her and suggested a nap and a Red Bull. Ouch."
http://www.refinery29.com/2015/07/91486/cara-delevingne-awkward-interview?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=post#.xp40ia:205R

Does anyone else feel like they totally have this kind of interaction all the time? I don't express excitement in the way that other people want me to sometimes, where they get to consume it and say pre-prepared things about it instead of actually engaging with my joy or any nuanced negatives I might be experiencing. And I'm also an evening chronotype, so I don't have any energy for myself - and definitely not for others - in the morning. Honestly, if it's before 10 AM, I'm probably not feeling excited for the day - sorry? - I'm dealing with a body that is having to operate outside of its natural rhythms.

And the weird thing is, like in this video, people seem to be able to tell that I'm irritated and that I'm trying to be polite and not express my irritation but instead of wondering if they should adjust their clearly irritating behavior, they laugh at and deride my behavior. Like my negative feelings are adorably inappropriate - and this can frustratingly translate into a perception that I am just generally an adorably inappropriate person.

Which is all to say, if someone looks tired and isn't performing their emotions the way that you want them to, give them some room.

Related: Fake smiling is bad for you

No comments:

Post a Comment