Monday, September 9, 2019

"A View from the Edge — Creating a Culture of Caring"


"As a patient, I was privy to failures that I’d been blind to as a clinician. There were disturbing deficits in communication, uncoordinated care, and occasionally an apparently complete absence of empathy. I recognized myself in every failure.
When I overheard a physician describe me as “trying to die on us,” I was horrified. I was not trying to die on anyone. The description angered me. Then I cringed. I had said the same thing, often and thoughtlessly, in my training. “He was trying to die on me.” As critical care fellows, we had all said it. Inherent in that accusation was our common attribution of intention to patients: we subconsciously constructed a narrative in which the doctor–patient relationship was antagonistic. It was one of many revelatory moments for me.
I heard my colleagues say things to me in ways that inflicted more suffering, even when they believed they were helping.
“We’re going to have to find you a new liver, unless you want to live here forever.”
“Are you sure your pain is an eight? I just gave you morphine an hour ago.”"



FB: "How do you build and maintain a culture of shared purpose in the infinitely complex arena of health care? How do you ensure that you engender in employees a dedication and commitment to doing what’s right? Identifying the gaps between the stated mission and values of an institution and its actual delivery of care is critical."

No comments:

Post a Comment