Sunday, February 24, 2019

"The Manic Mirage"



"We’ve been conditioned to see mania as an awesome bonus that accompanies mental illness, rather than a dangerous byproduct. It’s like watching a person with the flu froth at the mouth and thinking, “That’ll help with decongesting.” But there is nothing useful about mania. It doesn’t make you productive; it doesn’t make you a creative genius; it just makes you think you are. And no matter how many sexy-insane characters Aubrey Plaza plays, there’s nothing cool about it...

Nowadays, I don’t do it to tap into my “creative genius” (which is absolutely not a thing) but to feel productive and useful. I know nothing will come of it, but sometimes living a lie feels so much better than owning a truth. Some people take drugs to feel something; I don’t take drugs to feel anything...

Everyone experiences mania and hypomania differently, but I don’t know anyone who’s ever felt good after a manic episode. What I do know is mania does not help you do your best work or be your best self. It doesn’t even help you do good work or be your good self. I can safely say all of my best work has come from a non-manic state. My productivity and focus come from taking my medication, getting good sleep, and being fortunate enough to see a therapist."


No comments:

Post a Comment