Sunday, March 19, 2017

"INVISIBLE BLACK WOMAN: BEYOND BEYONCE, ACADEMIA AND THE WORLD"



"It is something very exhausting and triggering about being asked to take up so much space and be invisible at the same time. This is what academia asks of me daily. This is what the world asks of me as black woman each day. This is what the religion of my youth asks of me each day. You, in some way or another, ask me for this each day. “Show up EbonyJanice. Don’t just sit there. Your silence makes you seem like a bitch. Black girls can’t be introverts. Invest in this space. Give us something. Dance for us if we ask. Prove you belong here. Now be quiet.”"



FB: "I am not here for the Grammy’s wearing Beyonce’s actualization like a coutour hand bag and then stripping it off at the end of the night and throwing it on the floor in the corner of their closet. Greeting her with a tired, “Hey” by giving her an award for “Best Urban Contemporary Album” (a title that doesn’t properly define the body of work that Lemonade presented) and then greeting Adele’s “25” with shrieks, yelps and “Yays!”

No comments:

Post a Comment