Wednesday, February 3, 2016

"Hey, Internet: Stop Trying To Inspire Me "

"I have spent far too many nights feeling ashamed that I couldn’t be more positive, happier, better, stronger. I’d look at these shiny people plastered with positivity and I’d wonder where I went wrong. Why was I so affected by the world? Why didn’t every day feel like an adventure? Don’t these people have to pay bills and have uncomfortable conversations and wake up sometimes with a headache and an axe to grind? Why was I seemingly the only one so deeply affected by the human experience?

I don’t want to be inspired anymore. Inspiration is cheap. It’s easy. It’s flowery. It’s drenched in promises no one can fulfill.

I want to feel understood...


It’s okay to be angry and to be kind of dark and weird and not a ball of positivity every moment. Sometimes it’s okay to be bored and to think that happiness is a bit boring because it kind of is. Sometimes it’s fine to be moody and sad and contemplative and to solve problems with a glass of wine or a pizza or some good sex I don’t even know but it’s okay to just not have it all figured out, to have no answers, to just be like, what is the point of anything."
https://medium.com/@jamievaron/hey-internet-stop-trying-to-inspire-me-b5022f3c0f7


I love this perspective. There isn't, like, one appropriate way to experience the world - and, frankly, expecting continuous positive affect is like a straight shot to being super basic.


Related: What Everybody Needs; Okay with being sad

No comments:

Post a Comment