Friday, October 30, 2015

"A Rainbow Rejection: How ‘The Muppets’ Gets Everything Wrong About the Muppets"

"I guess I’ve found the one marriage-equality hypothetical on which I’m a fuming mossback conservative: Turns out I am opposed to the sexualization of the Muppets and therefore to the implication that humans and Muppets can or should miscegenate...

I get that adorable felt characters indulging depraved grown-up urges and espousing cynical grown-up sentiments can be funny and subversive, because I’m not an idiot. But shows like these work because they zero in on the discrepancy between the soft and brightly colored fantasies of comfort and security with which we nurture children and the often unpleasant and painful truths of the adult world. They’re funny because they’re deeply sad. They take the core concept of The Velveteen Rabbit and turn it inside out, presenting a world where instead of becoming loveworn and thereby real, our childhood pals just grow up to be shitty, diminished adults like the rest of us. This is a rich premise for stories that depend on our winking recognition that we’re looking at Muppets once removed. But on The Muppets, diminished adulthood has come for the actual Muppets, and it’s really depressing."

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/a-rainbow-rejection-how-the-muppets-gets-everything-wrong-about-the-muppets/

Hmmmm. I really wants this to be good, but I twasnt blown away by the trailer. Maybe I'll skip the first season and let it work itself out for a bit; I still have a lot of hop

No comments:

Post a Comment