Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"Friendship and Masculinity"

"Crissle’s point, my friend’s observations, and some of my own personal experiences lead me to believe sexualizing is a constant side to any order of normative masculinity. So much so that masculinity presents itself in direct conflict with platonic friendship at every turn. It means that men (by men, I mean male-identified persons who subscribe to normative gender roles and behaviors. I recognize that there are male identified people who embody queer and/or alternative masculinities. I recognize that there are masculine identified or masculine of center women who subscribe to normative gender roles and behaviors who suck just as much as misogynist men do. In other words: I know “not all men…”) gauge their connection to women based on sexual attraction. The fact that friendship with women is a specific “zone” in which they dare not inhabit is evidence of this. It also mean that pre-packaged gender binaries are guiding what could be established via authentic relationship building. And perhaps it means that feminine identified folks aren’t seen as equals, but as subjects that are necessary to define masculinity."
http://feministing.com/2015/02/13/friendship-and-masculinity/

:/ I don't fully agree with this, but I do see this dynamic with some guys who I either don't know very well or who seem to subscribe to a very specific kind of masculinity and who definitely do relate to me in a semi-possessive weird way. And these are people I avoid spending too much time with.


No comments:

Post a Comment