Wednesday, August 9, 2017

"When Private Reasoning is Public Property"


"It’s a different thing entirely when paperwork states, in black and white, that women are required to disclose their private thoughts for entry into their permanent medical record, while men are not. It’s a different thing entirely when the reason given for this is that I am presumed to have a uterus, if I identify as female. This, apparently, means I’m in a permanently pre-pregnant state. Even on birth control. Even though I don’t menstruate.

And, naturally, if women are permanently pre-pregnant, we are permanently in a state where at any given moment our right to privacy may be suspended in favor of the best interests of a fetus. Whether or not it’s a wanted fetus, from the time a fertilized egg exists within an adult female body, it will be viewed by many people as more important than its host...

I will be returning my patient consent form with those lines filled in with the words, “I am neither pregnant nor nursing. I will not disclose any non-medical information that isn’t also required from men for this procedure.”"


No comments:

Post a Comment