Tuesday, May 9, 2017

“Sexism is Hard to Explain”

"I thought of the men on Reddit who call women cunts because some ladies don’t want the door opened for them. Every time I read the men’s wounded lash-outs, I sadly laugh at how they think the thing is the thing. The door isn’t the thing. For me, the incident this morning was a bang-on metaphor for my experiences as a woman. The millions of small ways that I’ve been forced to surrender to men, who made me move or change or come to them because they felt like it. The ways that I’ve had to change my path in magnitudes great and small...

I can tell a man what it feels like when I’m walking down the street and men lean out of their vehicles to hoot at me. I can tell a man what it feels like to walk through a busy mall and feel sets of eyes fix on you and shamelessly stare at every inch of you while you pass... They think I’m trying to tell them that I don’t like doors opened for me. I won’t ever be able to explain it."

https://medium.com/@Kelcie/sexism-is-hard-to-explain-c0679a8deaae

FB: this is very short and very perfect at illustrating how impossible it is to communicate the experience of sexism.

No comments:

Post a Comment