Friday, June 19, 2015

"To Rachel Dolezal: A white NAACP president could have been a powerful thing"

"Self-hatred is a dangerous thing. In this case, it seems possible that Dolezal could have became so wrapped up in her own desire to belong that she became an inadvertent mockery of the very community she wanted so desperately to belong to.
But blackness should never be performed. It is not some abstract concept that can be morphed and shaped from foundation or elaborate extensions purchased from the beauty salon. It’s the skin that you wake up in the morning and go to sleep in at night. It’s the life experiences that cannot be absorbed through books or vicarious erudition. And no matter how much make-up you don, wigs you wear, or colloquialisms you speak, one cannot become black."
http://qz.com/427065/to-rachel-dolezal-a-white-naacp-president-could-have-been-a-powerful-thing/

I don't know. I just felt immediately exhausted by this, from the first headline I saw and didn't click on. There isn't an endgame here, there is just sad confusion.

I read this article, and I listened to this podcast - http://www.buzzfeed.com/anotherround/episode-14-multitudity-tiq-milan-interview-trans-media#.erEy8oXmK - and I think I'm done.


(credit to TO)

No comments:

Post a Comment