Monday, August 1, 2016

"Is racism a choice?: Changing the Metaphor to Change the Action."

"what if we changed the metaphor we apply to racism. It seems that the current metaphor is that RACISM IS A CHOICE.

What if we talked about racism the way we speak of depression or alcoholism?

Whether it is at work, at family dinner, at the grocery store or on social media we have all witnessed racist behavior. What do we do, not only to shut it down in the moment, but to help prevent it in the future?...

I do not know how to eradicate racism. If I did, I would write that article. If you thought this was that article, I sincerely apologize. I do not know if we can effectively change the metaphor, or if changing the metaphor will have the desired result. Yet, I can not help but feel that we must try.

I would like to propose a possible route towards a solution. What if we created an organization similar to AA and other support groups, one where a person is encouraged to openly admit their feelings of racism as part of a path toward overcoming and erasing them."

https://medium.com/@Kturetzky/is-racism-a-choice-eef8add66f8c

I really like this. Thinking about metaphor, and also thinking about how we actually need to let our faults OUT. I really do see a lot of parallels with unproductive conversations about mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment